Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to transpose data in Excel. Normally, I cut the cells I need, and use paste special -> transpose. However, sometimes when I do paste special, a box comes up asking me if I want to use unicode text vs normal text.

How do I transpose this text? Is there a way to get past the unicode dialog box and get to the normal Paste special dialog box (that has the 'transpose' option)?

Or, is there another simple way to transpose cells?

transpose = flip rows and columns IE 1, 2, 3 becomes:

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Alternatively, you can use Excel's Transpose function. For example:


Do not forget to drag select cells (for example C1 to E1) which will be the location where the results will be displayed. Then type the above function and press the CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER keys on the keyboard at the same time to enter the function as an array function. Then the formula will be viewed as


in the formula bar above the worksheet.

share|improve this answer
Ah, excellent! I didn't know about that. Thanks! – David Oneill Jan 25 '10 at 18:53
You're welcome. – Mehper C. Palavuzlar Jan 25 '10 at 19:14

Copy the contents onto a spreadsheet from a source that you want to transpose. Later, copy the pasted content from your spreadsheet. While the contents are in the memory, just right click on another cell or a worksheet, and, this time, the Paste Special option will open with all of the features enabled.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .