I'm trying to share my P:\ drive on a Windows 7 (Pro) PC with other PCs (WinXP) on my network. I shared it and set permissions to give Everyone Full Control.
Computer XP(different computer on the network) can access \win7\users\ public (and copy files to it and edit files in that folder) but not the \win7\p:\
Folders I've shared on the Windows 7 PC are visible to the XP computers but just not accessible . From the other WinXP PCs on the LAN accessing the Win7 PC, I get "win7\p not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. " "Access Denied".
Edit: I've to Advanced Sharing options set to have the following enabled:
- Network Discovery
- File and Printer sharing
- Sharing so anyone can read/write files to public folders.
- 128 bit encryption (perhaps this is an issue? Perhaps it should be set to 40 bit encryption?)
- Allow Windows to manage homegroup.
- XP machines are set to not use Simple File Sharing.
Other Things I've Tried
- Confirmed all computers are in the MSHOME workgroup.
- Turned off the Windows 7 Firewall, briefly. Problem persisted.
- Tried the Windows 7 Network Troubleshooter. Just led me around in a circle saying "found problem...need more information". The links from there led back to the Network Troubleshooter.
- tried disabling the Firewall on the Windows XP machine. No joy.
- Verified the XP machines are both on Win XP SP3 and both have "download updates" turned on.
- Installed IE8 on the XP machine1. (Previously it had IE 6). Still no joy.