Firefox version: 3.6
places.sqlite is rather big (114MB, after being optimized by SpeedyFox.) If I turn on auto-complete, it may take 1 or 2 seconds for Firefox to accept a newly typed URL. To reproduce the issue:
- Type a URL into the URL bar, press enter.
- Nothing happens, and Firefox consumes 100% CPU (actually 50% of 2 cores) for 1 to 2 seconds
- Then Firefox start the network connection and load the webpage.
Since it consumes 100% CPU, I don't think the bottleneck is the disk. I have some experience with SQLite and I know a 100MB DB is very small. To achieve the delay Firefox must be doing some expensive processing or inefficient queries.
The issue does not appear if:
- auto-complete is turned off, or
- the URL is frequently used, or
- a new profile with no history is used
Does anyone have any idea how to solve the problem? Should I file this as a bug? I don't want to give up my 100MB history, but I don't want to give up auto-complete either :)