Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Instead, I have to go to properties > layout > window size > width and enter it manually. If you can decrease the width with the mouse, I would think that you should be able to increase it similarly. I'm using Windows 7 if it matters.

share|improve this question
you can use ColorConsole instead, it's free and portable ... and it is not plagued by such limitations :) – Molly7244 Feb 2 '10 at 2:05
Nice find. Although, there's something about the looks of that program that gives me the willies. :) – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Feb 2 '10 at 2:21
@techie007 - i know what you mean, but it DOES have a bunch of useful features and advantages over Windows Command Prompt ... AND it's a gift horse :) – Molly7244 Feb 2 '10 at 2:33

Because you can't? :)

Aside from something to do with the buffering of a mono-spaced, text-mode interface, I'm thinking only the Microsoft programmers are the ones who know the reasons 'why'. :)

You may have (also) noticed that if you shrink the window width, it doesn't actually affect the text width, it just covers it.

I don't believe I've ever seen an OS with a dynamically word-wrapping terminal window, so I don't think it's just Windows. :)

share|improve this answer
osx terminal has this "dynamic word-wrapping" that you speak of.. – JT.WK Feb 2 '10 at 2:11
Nice, but not very 'terminal window' of it, betcha an extended ASCII text interface would look awesome after being word-wrapped arbitrarily. ;) – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Feb 2 '10 at 2:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .