Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Instead, I have to go to properties > layout > window size > width and enter it manually. If you can decrease the width with the mouse, I would think that you should be able to increase it similarly. I'm using Windows 7 if it matters.

share|improve this question
you can use ColorConsole instead, it's free and portable ... and it is not plagued by such limitations :) – Molly7244 Feb 2 '10 at 2:05
Nice find. Although, there's something about the looks of that program that gives me the willies. :) – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Feb 2 '10 at 2:21
@techie007 - i know what you mean, but it DOES have a bunch of useful features and advantages over Windows Command Prompt ... AND it's a gift horse :) – Molly7244 Feb 2 '10 at 2:33

Because you can't? :)

Aside from something to do with the buffering of a mono-spaced, text-mode interface, I'm thinking only the Microsoft programmers are the ones who know the reasons 'why'. :)

You may have (also) noticed that if you shrink the window width, it doesn't actually affect the text width, it just covers it.

I don't believe I've ever seen an OS with a dynamically word-wrapping terminal window, so I don't think it's just Windows. :)

share|improve this answer
osx terminal has this "dynamic word-wrapping" that you speak of.. – JT.WK Feb 2 '10 at 2:11
Nice, but not very 'terminal window' of it, betcha an extended ASCII text interface would look awesome after being word-wrapped arbitrarily. ;) – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Feb 2 '10 at 2:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.