Steps to create protected section (in Word 2003):
- Insert -> Break...
- Choose Section break, Continuous
- Tools -> Protect Document...
- Enable 'Allow only this type of editing in the document' in editing restrictions
- In the drop down select 'Filling in forms'
- Click on 'Select sections...' and uncheck the unprotected sections (eg. Section 2)
- Click 'Yes, Start Enforcing Protection' and optionally set a password.
Now go to the unprotected section and in the Format menu options like 'Bullets and Numbering...' and 'Borders and Shading...' are greyed out.
How can you protect a section without limiting the features that can be used in the unprotected section?