Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The laptop has no page-up/down buttons. How can I have page-up/down on the terminal, e.g. when I edit with vi?

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 3 '10 at 13:47

This question came from our site for system and network administrators.

On Snow Leopard on MacBook, I use fnup or fndown to page up and down respectively on the terminal. And when inside an editor, such as Vim, I hold the shift key in addition to the mentioned key combinations to page up and down within the editor.

share|improve this answer
shift + FN + (Up arrow or Down arrow) works for me. Thanks sooo much for this post. I was going nuts trying to get page up to work in a terminal on my mac. – user128192 Apr 13 '12 at 15:58
It would be awesome if there were a one-handed form of these keys... it's awkward having to use two hands when scrolling up and down (most laptops don't have a Function key on the right hand side, near the arrow keys). – Ether Aug 11 '12 at 16:07

Use controlf (forward) for page down, and controlb (backward) for page down.

share|improve this answer
Perfect. Obviously, the accepted answer doesn't work if you have a macbook with no up/down keys. – Xeoncross Jun 24 '14 at 19:35
@Xeoncross MacBook without up/down keys? I don't think such thing exists. – Petr Peller Sep 18 '14 at 9:01

Generally on the Macbook page up and page down are a key combination. On current Macbooks Page Up is the FN (function) key (at the bottom left of the keyboard) and up arrow. Page down is FN key and down arrow. On some older macbooks I believe you need to use the 'Apple' key (which is located in roughly the same place as the Windows key on a PC keyboard) instead.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.