Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know this one is a bit weird.

I need to scale down the display on my monitor like the example below:

enter image description here

Normally, this could be done with some adjustments in monitor's OSD, but there is no OSD on my LCD monitor.

Is it even possible by software?

Edit: Graphic Card: Intel G33/G31 express Chipset family

It would be good if it's permament but it's not needed.

I can change my operating system but currently i use Windows XP.

share|improve this question
You need to give much more information: what hardware (video chipset and monitor) do you have? What operating system are you using? Should this be a permanent change, or do you want to do it temporarily for specific circumstances? – CarlF Feb 3 '10 at 15:37
Thank you, please see my edit on original post. – frbry Feb 3 '10 at 16:28
Please tell us why you need to do this, then we may be able to offer other advice. – davr Feb 3 '10 at 19:04
We've got a kiosk prepared. But they've cut the piece covering the LCD wrong, and it now blocks the display area. We will sell this kiosk and we don't know what applications will run on it. – frbry Feb 3 '10 at 20:04

See if this article applies to your card:
Intel® Clear Video Technology controls questions and answers.

The section titled Can I change the aspect ratio for my widescreen display using this technology? says:

The Video Scaling tab (see Figures 4 & 5, for newer drivers Figures 4a) allows you to enable and configure various settings of Non-Linear Anamorphic Scaling (NLAS). NLAS scales content with 4:3 aspect ratio to widescreen displays with 16:9 aspect ratio while minimizing the loss of image quality.

It seems from the image below that the driver does support cropping of the screen.


share|improve this answer

I have an Nvidia card on my laptop. I have to change the "flat panel scaling".

share|improve this answer
I have an Intel card, unfortunately it has limited amount of settings. – frbry Feb 3 '10 at 20:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.