I have a Dell laptop and I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger hard disk. Please can you explain to me how to identify which types of disk are compatible? I'm totally lost in a sea of variants of ATA/SATA/IDE. I've tried the Dell website and couldn't convince it to try and sell me an overpriced replacement. Here are some specs:
- Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1300 B130 (service tag C07RC2J)
- OS: Windows 7 Professional
- Current disk: Hitachi HTS541060G9AT00 (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16822146042)
- Device manager shows these IDE ATE/ATAPI controllers:
- a) ATA Channel 0 (supporting my disk in Ultra DMA Mode 5)
- b) Intel 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
I know about speeds, cache size etc. but I don't know what interface(s) to look at. I'd also love a 7200rpm if that's possible.