I'm using Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 (host) running Windows XP (as the Guest O/S). I'm trying to get the Microphone working.
When I Enable Integration Features:
- Microphone does not work
- When I run the Sound Recorder, the record button is disabled. If I look at Sound settings, there are no options for the Mic (it's all disabled "grayed out").
- Speakers work
- Copy & Paste works
- Drag & Drop does not work.
When I Disable Integration Features:
- Microphone and speakers work
- Copy and Paste does not (as expected)
Drag'n Drop copying does not work in either situation.
There seems to be no way to assign a folder on the Host to be a drive letter (accessible via just the drive letter (e:\, etc.) on the Client.
What I've Tried
Verified that the Windows XP Mode Virtual PC guest also has the same symptoms (Mic doesn't work) and audio out (speakers) do work.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Integration addin for Virtual PC
Changing a setting in the .vmc file:
- Ensure that the VM (and may be even vpc.exe) is not running.
- Go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\
- Open Virtual Windows XP.vmc file
- Go to the tag and add a sub tag: "
<audio_redirect > type="boolean">false</audio_redirect> "
- Start the VM/Virtual Application This solution was from a Microsoft Forum
Also, this happens on every Client I have within Virtual PC (with several O/S's on the Clients: XP, 7 and I think Vista)
UPDATE: I seem to remember being told that VPC only supports a USB Mic, not the built in Mic.