Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
How do you type Unicode characters using hexadecimal codes?

Is it possible to generate this symbol 'ë' i.e. e with a diaeresis from the keyboard in windows?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by quack quixote, Troggy Feb 9 '10 at 16:23

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Hold down ALT, and type 137 on the key pad on your keyboard. When you release ALT, it should appear.

ALT + 137


Check, or the ASCII table of your choice for the ASCII codes you can type in.

share|improve this answer
thanks, this works – user9879 Feb 9 '10 at 15:42
I've been using such codes since the middle 80's, where those codes were part of the original 256-characters. But the uppercase ones were not part of this original list, so we had to wait until Windows came out with a more international one. Under Linux, you can use the compose key to have any accent on any character, uppercase or lower case, in a uniform way. Much easier to learn than the numerical codes. – jfmessier Feb 9 '10 at 18:06

You mean ë ?? Just press alt+0235 .. And voila!!

For more, Go to MS Word, Insert > Symbols, then iterate through various fonts for thousands of symbols.. Enjoy.. ^_^

share|improve this answer

More info at these links:

share|improve this answer
Note: It's not an umlaut ... – Joey Feb 9 '10 at 15:46

In general, you can find the keystroke combinations on a Windows machine from the Character Map applet. It's located by default in Start | Accessories | System Tools. Click on a character and you get the keystroke combination in the bottom-right corner of the tool. You can also just copy/paste from there for infrequently used characters.

share|improve this answer

You have several choices.

Using alt+number, picking it from character map, etc. For me, I simply switch to US-International keyboard.

In Vista:

  • control panel
  • regional and language options
  • keyboards and languages
  • change keyboards
  • add
  • English (United States)

After you switch to it, you can enter that by typing " and e.

You can switch by selecting through the language bar or by binding it to a specific combination of keys.

This might be an overkill if you simply want that letter, but this also allows you to type in other accented characters easily.

share|improve this answer
+1 for US International. – Joey Feb 9 '10 at 15:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.