Ok, I often use my external hard disk in other computers than mine, and I use it with Time Machine. So I want a solution for being able to do that as good as possible.
Things to consider:
Time Machine must run on it
Accessible data for Macs and PCs
Bootable for rescue
Maybe I'm going way too far, but I do consider those things as basic stuff that at least some hard disks could even already come along with.
I was thinking in some variation of this scheme:
- 2 or 5GB Extended Journaled for my regular Mac OS Disc
- 1 or 2GB FAT for some Windows Boot Disk and Windows files
- 1 or 2GB either EXT3, 4 or maybe XFS for some kind of Ubuntu
- a gParted "disk" (never really made any)
- at last, all the resting for Data and Backup - probably Extended Non-Journaled
So the actual data would be like that for TM, and it would be easily acessible by booting to Ubuntu or installing the drivers on windows from the FAT partition.
I still don't know how should the Boot Record be, but I'll most likely use GUID Partition Table or GRUBS2 if possible.
Any suggestions? Any better solution? Any solution already made and ready to just "install" on the disk? :P