Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sometimes, I need to check how many pixels an area takes on the screen.

Does someone know of a utility for Windows that would let me click somewhere on the screen, drag 'n drop to the lower right hand-side of the area, and show the width/height in pixels of the selected area?

Thank you.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

PicPick Tools - All-in-one Design Tools

PicPick is an all-in-one software for software developers, graphic designers and home user.

It has an intuitive interface and simple, elegant operation. After starting the software, you simply select one of the tool from the PicPick Tools trayicon menu when you want. It features a powerful capture tool, image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard and etc. You can use all these tools freely....

share|improve this answer
Neat tool! +1 :) – o.k.w Feb 19 '10 at 13:31
Yes, thanks, it's a great, free application :-) Use its CrossHair feature to check the width/height of a section on the screen. – OverTheRainbow Feb 22 '10 at 12:12

Not built for this purpose but quite a number of screen capture tools do that.

E.g. FastStone capture, MWSnap, !Quick Screen Capture etc etc

share|improve this answer

You can try MB ruler. In coordinate system mode it does what you need.

Another screen measuring tool that comes to mind is Screen Calipers.

share|improve this answer
Thanks guys. MBRuler does the trick. – OverTheRainbow Feb 19 '10 at 13:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.