I'm trying to get a printer setup on a Windows 7 laptop. The printer is a network printer being shared from our desktop that is next to it. Under Add Printer in Win7, I can see the network printer (
\\DESKTOP\HP OfficeJet) but I try to add it and it says it can't find the driver for HP OfficeJet V Series. This happens to be the v40. I tried to find a driver download but it appears there isn't one for Win7 or Vista. The HP site said the printer should work fine with the built in printer driver on Win7 but the add printer is asking for the driver, or a manual location of the INF file. Can I just try to point it to a local INF? Where's that file on Win7?
Here's what I've tried:
- No printers installed
- Add Printer > Local Printer > LPT1 port
- Click the WU button you circled in your screenshot
- Upon WU refresh of the list, choose any printer and hit Next
- Hit Cancel on the next screen
- Go back to Add Printer > Network Printer
- Find the shared printer and hit Next
- At this points it pops up a little windows that says its checking WU for a driver. It then tries and finally says: "Windows can't find a driver for hp officejet v series on the network"