I'm looking into a PC with an issue with one of the front USB ports (perhaps both).
It was working before a motherboard upgrade but since then, a USB drive was inserted, overheated and does not appear to be working. Then a phone (with USB charging) was plugged in, and the phone OS suspended. Removing and re-inserting the battery led to the phone (and hence battery) working, however the battery no longer charges (including with a wall charger).
It seems too much to be a coincidence and am wondering what the issue may be?
Ideas so far are short circuiting, or over-current to the USB ports.
Note: Did not occur to me, so details are not 100% accurate or complete. Feel free to ask for missing info that I may have forgotten though.