Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've got 2 computers in my home office, and they are both connected to the wireless router sitting in the living room. Problem is I often need to copy files back and forth between them, or VNC from one to the other (I tried a Belkin KVM but it didnt work well). And using a wireless connection for that is very bad for performance, which is a bummer since both computers are literally next to each other.

So what are my other options? A switch: could work but I dont want a long cable running through my home. Another router: is it possible to use another router that would receive the signal from the main router, and transfers it to the 2 computers so they have internet? If possible, this 2nd router would act as a wired switch, so perfect for local transfer. Otherwise, any other ideas? direct ethernet connections: is that possible?

Thanks in advance,


share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Just connect these two computers with an Ethernet cable. No need to alter the existing network configuration. Computers will now have two network interfaces - one to connect to the Internet (wireless), and one to connect to neighbour computer (wired).

This way you will have positive sides of both wired and wireless connections - you have the huge speed where you need it (between two computers), and you have no wires to the router (since you don't like long cables).

share|improve this answer
Note that for a direct connection computer-computer you need a special cable (different from the cable for computer-switch). See . – sleske Feb 22 '10 at 13:27
He states that he doesn't want cable running through his space. – Xavierjazz Feb 22 '10 at 13:28
@sleske Not necessarily; many devices will auto-crossover, so that either cable type can be used. – sblair Feb 22 '10 at 13:33
@Xavierjazz The question asks to avoid a long cable between rooms, not a short cable between two machines in the same room. – sblair Feb 22 '10 at 13:36
@ChrisF There's a clue in the title... Otherwise this would be a fairly different question. – sblair Feb 22 '10 at 14:14

Mad Fish's answer is probably the best solution, but another option is to install a switch in the office and use Ethernet over Power Line Carrier to connect the switch to the router. This will avoid installing a long cable between rooms, and should provide higher bandwidth (~200Mbit/s) than Wi-Fi (assuming it's limited to 54Mbit/s).

share|improve this answer
Exactly like Wi-Fi, PowerLine gives a lot less bandwidth than the carrier rate (200Mbit/s PL have 100MBit/s ethernet ports). However this will be a simple solution (and avoid interference/bandwidth limits of neighbours with Wi-Fi as well). It is exactly what I have running here. There are also PL units with inbuilt switches (which saves two network boxes alongside the computers). – Richard Feb 22 '10 at 14:33

Just a simple hub should be fine, plug the hub into your router, and the 2 local boxes into the hub. Should be able to get one for less than $20.

Also what kind of wireless do you have?, it should be fine to do all those things between each other (I do it all the time)

share|improve this answer
This would still require a long cable from the router to the hub. Also, given that switches are not significantly more expensive than hubs, a switch is almost always preferable to a hub. – sblair Feb 22 '10 at 13:31
@sblair, I think that @Joel is suggesting that no cable is necessary between the router and the switch - the computers will access the internet over one network connection, and talk to each other over an unrelated internet connection. – dsolimano Feb 22 '10 at 13:58
@dsolimano "plug the hub into your router" strongly suggests that @Joel intends for them to be connected... But the solution you suggest is another sensible option - basically an extension of Mad Fish's answer. – sblair Feb 22 '10 at 14:21
@sblair, you are completely right, I was reading @Rodent43's answer but associating it with @Joel's answer. Need to wake up before posting. – dsolimano Feb 22 '10 at 14:30

I would go with the answer from Mad Fish, one cable between the two if they are in the same room, you can either use a crossover cable or as mentioned many devices will auto-crossover

the other option if its just file sharing is to use a remote store? like an online storage account (many have a free service) that both machines can access...although this would still give you the issue of speed with uploading and downloading or accessing etc...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.