Ever tried to set the Autorun settings for your USB device?
In Windows XP it would be like this:
How to Disable USB Drive to autorun (Windows XP):
- Open Windows Explorer or press the Windows + “e” key.
- Right-click the drive of the USB Drive.
- Then select Properties. Drive Properties will appear.
- Select the AutoPlay tab.
- Choose Select an Action to Perform
- At the bottom of the selection, click Take no Action, then click Apply.
- Click OK to exit Drive Properties.
If you don't think that will work go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base
It will help you tweak your register to disable Auto-Run completely for certain devices.
Type gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to open the Group Policy Editor.
Under Computer Configuration > expand Administrative Templates > expand Windows Components > click Autoplay Policies.
In the RHS Details pane, double-click Turn off Autoplay to open the Properties box.
Click Enabled, and then select All drives in the Turn off Autoplay on box to disable Autorun on all drives.
How to selectively disable specific Autorun features and more on KB953252.
You can also open the Control Panel
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > AutoPlay
and set the options as per your preferences.
3) The same can be achieved by editing the Registry.
Run regedit and navigate to:
In the RHS, create a new dword and rename it to NoDriveTypeAutoRun.
Rt click on it and give it a decimal value 225 (or Hexadecimal value 000000FF) Exit regedit.
This will disable AutoRun on all drives