Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a spare working laptop screen. Are there any adapters that would let me hook it up to a VGA or DVI port? This is what the display wire looks like:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
What brand/model is the display? What computer is it from? More specifics would really help. – squircle Mar 1 '10 at 2:29
It's from an Asus A8JM. I don't really know anything about the display. – Archagon Mar 1 '10 at 3:33
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes, there are adapters.

However, as a rule, they cost more than an equivalent desktop LCD, so it's not really worth the effort. In addition, it does require some knowledge of electronics, as you may have to make a custom adapter to connect the LCD to the controller.

Furthermore, you really need the datasheet on your specific LCD module. It may be possible to find this by googling the various serial numbers you find on stickers on the module, but a lot of manufactures have their LCDs custom made for them, and there is very little information available.

If you're dead set on it, EarthLCD sells LCD controllers.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .