It's a fairly simple question, can a short circuit in a modern PC cause damage, or are they pretty well protected?
The situation being my PC shutdown unexpectedly on my wife. I had to open it up, tip it on its side to and turn it on/off a few times to figure out the problem. Hearing a little crack I figured out that it was something sparking, then taking off the other panel noticed one of the power connectors dangling right above a rivet in the case.
The last short caused my CMOS to become corrupt, I got a bad checksum message when it loaded, so I restored the default settings.
It seems to be working at the moment, I'm actually typing this on the machine but I'm wondering if there might be any hidden damage caused by such an event, or whether everything should be fine? And if so, is there a way to detect such damage?
Cheers for resolving my paranoia guys.