I have the following problem: when starting Visual Studio 2008, it says "Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application." and stops. With the help of Sysinternals ProcessMonitor, I found out that Visual Studio could not load the atl90.dll 9.0.30729.4148 from the WinSxS folder. I tried to manually copy the older atl90.dll 9.0.30729.1 with the result that Visual Studio works again. Now I call this a dirty workaround, and not a solution. Plus I still don't know the reason why the atl90.dll disappeared in the first place.
So my questions:
- Does anyone know of a reason why this might have happened?
- Does anyone know a real solution to the problem, e.g. a Microsoft download that includes the atl90.dll in the correct version 9.0.30729.4148 that installs into WinSxS?
- WinXp SP3
- missing DLL: C:\WINNT\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_x-ww_353599c2\atl90.dll
- workaround DLL: C:\WINNT\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.ATL_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_x-ww_d01483b2\atl90.dll
- manifests in WinSxS seem to be alright, but unfortunately all point to the missing version 9.0.30729.4148