Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I uploaded a wordpress theme onto a wordpress installation on a site hosted at godaddy. I used gFTP on an ubuntu machine for the transfer. Now I'm in a situation where I cannot view the contents of the folder, can't reset its permissions, or delete it. I get a "permission denied" on every single attempt to change anything about it. The permissions in gFTP for the folder are being shown as

d --- --- ---

The owner of the directory is the same as all the other folders (a static 5 thousand something number). But if the owner is the same, he should be allowed to alter permissions, right? What is a way out? Thank you in advance guys.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You don't have any permissions on that'll need root-access to change the permissions, I'm afraid.

share|improve this answer
On Linux, a file's owner is always allowed to change its permissions (unless file is set to "immutable" or similar, which can only be done by root himself) – grawity Mar 5 '10 at 14:05
@grawity: Oh, I always thought 'not-readable' does also mean 'don't touchable'. Thanks for the info. – Bobby Mar 5 '10 at 14:24
@grawity: So, since the directory in question has the same owner as that of other directories.. (which I've assumed to be the only FTP user configured on the system), and I can make modifications to them, why can I not change permissions if the owner has the ability to do that? Any idea? @Bobby: Thank you. I had to 'upgrade' the account to gain the SSH service for root access, which involves a day's wait. I'll post an update about the outcome asap. – morgoth_bauglir Mar 5 '10 at 16:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.