Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I found System Preferences → Keyboard → Modifier Keys menu, but I can map other modifier key to it, not a keyboard shortcut.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

My guide on how to do that:


share|improve this answer
It is okay to link to your blog posting, but it would be better if you could include some of the details directly in your answer. –  Chris Johnsen Mar 15 '11 at 4:39

Unfortunately, what you want to accomplish cannot be done with what OS X gives you. I have hacked a keyboard layout to switch to Cyrillic when Caps Lock is on, but it's a bit ugly - everything happens within the same actual keyboard layout (flag in menu bar does not change), and some apps behave funny with it (most shortcuts do not work in Mozilla-based software, for example). Ukelele is your friend here, as Felix pointed out, but I would love to find a true solution to have Caps Lock switch the actual layouts.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.