Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I used my iPhone to capture a painting. However, the angle was not perfect, so instead of getting a straight rectangle, I get a trapezium. I want to transform this trapezium back into a rectangle (using some affine transformation). However, I cannot find a good way to do it. Please advise.

share|improve this question
My guest would be I can select four points in the captured photo and define the other 4 points of the rectangle and have the software transform it for me based on the coordinates of these points. However, I cannot figure out how to do that with GIMP – Phuong Nguyen Mar 9 '10 at 3:00
As in the dupe - have a look at Imagemagick – Linker3000 Aug 17 '11 at 9:43
up vote 4 down vote accepted

In GIMP, it is called the perspective tool. I think it is the same in Photoshop.

There is an icon for it in the menu on the left. It looks like a trapezoid with two arrows at the bottom corners.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. This is exactly what I am looking for. – Phuong Nguyen Mar 9 '10 at 9:21 will do this - you're looking for the 'layers', 'rotate/zoom' option. just move the ball to get it aligned

share|improve this answer

ImageMagick gives you the -distort Perspective option. Like explained in Perspective Distortion:

convert image.jpg -distort Perspective '7,4 4,3 4,1 4,1 85,1 100,1 85,2 100,3' result.jpg

share|improve this answer

I know there already is an accepted answer, but Hugin that can also be used to fix perspectives in pictures, and is much better at it than a regular photo editing software. There is a tutorial on their website explaining how to do this.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. This software is amazing. It deserves to be an answer, though. – Phuong Nguyen Mar 9 '10 at 14:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .