Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have opened a file in a horizontal or vertical split and which to put it in a new tab instead. Can this be done easily?

share|improve this question
up vote 48 down vote accepted

Very easily, use CTRL+W, SHIFT+T.

See the help page:

:help CTRL-W_T

Note that this is case sensitive: <C-W>T is different to <C-W>t.

share|improve this answer

The long-and-straight-forward way would be to open a new tab and open the file's buffer there.


:b can TAB-complete from arbitrary parts of the file name, so this shouldn't take too long.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .