Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have opened a file in a horizontal or vertical split and which to put it in a new tab instead. Can this be done easily?

share|improve this question
up vote 46 down vote accepted

Very easily, use CTRL+W, SHIFT+T.

See the help page:

:help CTRL-W_T

Note that this is case sensitive: <C-W>T is different to <C-W>t.

share|improve this answer

The long-and-straight-forward way would be to open a new tab and open the file's buffer there.


:b can TAB-complete from arbitrary parts of the file name, so this shouldn't take too long.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.