Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can I reduce the size of my desktop icons if the video resolution is already on the highest setting?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 53 down vote accepted

If you click a blank bit of the desktop, hold down the Ctrl key and scroll down using the mouse wheel, you can scale down the desktop icons until they're almost non-existent.

Ctrl + scroll wheel works to zoom in most applications (browser, MS Office, Windows Explorer, etc.).

share|improve this answer
Works on Vista too –  Motti Sep 8 '09 at 9:42

Right click the desktop > View > Small Icons (Classic on Vista). That is the smallest icon size you can have.

enter image description here

If these sizes are still not small (or big) enough for you, then you can hold down Ctrl whilst scrolling the Scroll Wheel to change it to the exact size you want.

share|improve this answer
+1 for the Ctrl + mouse wheel –  Ivo Flipse Jul 24 '09 at 6:26
Ctrl + mouse wheel is great –  eqzx Jan 13 '10 at 0:49

I haven't tested this but I would've thought this was a registry setting, according to google it is :)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"Shell Icon Size"="36"

The value '36' is the default (medium size) if I'm correct, a smaller value means smaller icons.

Note: Fiddling with the registry can be dangerous so only use this if the default 'small/medium/large/extra large' don't suffice.

share|improve this answer
I have tested this and there was no influence on the desktop icons size (though I did not attempt to restart). –  Joe Jul 1 '12 at 10:57

protected by Jeff Atwood Jun 7 '10 at 7:49

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.