Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an HP LaserJet 4600 and need to order a replacement cable for it. Here is a picture of the port on the printer and the cable is currently in use. I've never seen one of this style before. Can anyone provide the type of port this is or a provide a link to a replacement cable?

HP LJ 4600 port and cable

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

This is known as a Mini Centronics cable. Lots of aftermarket ones out there. Be sure to look for IEEE-1284 on the cable. Here is a very common one from Startech.


share|improve this answer
Never heard of Mini Centronics before, good call! – rodey Mar 18 '10 at 13:07

This is an older cable style, it was commonly known as a "centronics" parrallel cable back in the old days, not sure the IEEE number... Centronics was a printer company. It has 36 pins, and "typically" you can find a 25 pin on the other end. Just Google "centronics parallel cable" to find some sources.

share|improve this answer
Ummm - I don't think so. Too small for normal "Centronics" - if the person holding it has "normal" width thumb. – hotei Jun 21 '10 at 16:15

HP LaserJet 4600 parts

I think you want the C2946A cable.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.