Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So, I'm looking for a software native to gnome that provides automatic text replacement. Something similar to autohotkey would be great, though I really don't care about all that extra autohotkey functionality. I'm just looking for text replacement that works seamlessly while I'm typing wherever I'm typing.

I've heard that autohotkey runs on wine, but I'd really rather install something native to unix. Is there a software like this?


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Try autokey. I'm just starting with it, but it seems that it will do the job.

alt text

share|improve this answer
That's great. Does it also support special key presses? (Such as pressing the up key) – Malabarba Mar 19 '10 at 21:09
Just tried it, and Yes! – outsideblasts Mar 19 '10 at 21:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.