Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for an cable (adapter or something) that can connect a

4-pin mini-DIN S-Video out

4-pin mini-DIN connector

to a:


enter image description here

The reason being I have an ancient piece of specialized equipment (no it's not a DVD- player) that only outputs to S-Video (4-pin) and the modern display only accepts HDMI input. By the way, this is not a home theater question.

So far I've only managed to obtain a 7-pin mini-DIN S-Video out to HDMI in.

Does anyone know where to get a 4-pin mini-DIN S-Video out to HDMI in cable (if there's such a thing)?

share|improve this question
You can't do it simply with a cable. HDMI is digital, S video is just b+w and color analog analog signals. YOu would need some sort of adapter with a graphics chipset. – Martin Beckett Jul 24 '09 at 17:08
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The following appears to offer a 4-pin S-Video to HDMI conversion:

A similar item, but with a bit more detail on what it supports:

share|improve this answer
+1 @Sliff, thanks for the quick answer. I'll check them out. is amazing. ;-) – GeneQ Jul 24 '09 at 15:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.