Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to type some special character like heart, Ohm sign , in Windows, I could be able to copy these from character map easily, is there any utility alike Windows Character map for Mac ?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

You can find details about the Character Palette at this link from the Mac support site. The procedure is a bit different depending on your version of Mac OS X.

share|improve this answer

There should be a small flag in the top right corner of your menu bar, click this and a character map menu will appear - from here you can get an interactive character map that changes when you press down certain operator keys (e.g. apple/ alt etc.); or a character map.

If this flag doesn't seem to be there - check out system preferences, and the click the "international" icon, you should be able to check a box to incorporate the flag in your menu bar from here.

share|improve this answer

The Character Palette as mentioned by Gnoupi is IMO the best solution.

But if you prefer a standalone program, the UnicodeChecker might be a solution as well (you can copy&paste the characters from the UnicodeChecker into your program):


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.