I have a Windows 7 x64 guest that acts very strange - the VM is very slow and taskmgr will consume 50% (with 2 cores) or up to 99% (single) of the CPU when everything else is idle.
- Host is Windows 7 x64 with VMware Workstation 7.0.1
- VMware tools are installed
- the same VM, when running on another PC with VMware Server 2.0 will work OK (CPU at ~0% when idle)
I've tried (with no effects)
- enabled/disabled 3d
- selected 1 or 2 cores
- adjusted memory (1gb/500mb)
- adjusted the bios
- mem.hotadd = "FALSE"
- disabled page trimming
Windows 7 x86 guests on the same machine do not have this problem.
Edit: I usually run multiple VMs on that system.
Now I noticed that
- if I start the x64 VM first it will run OK.
- but when I start another VM (x86) with multiple processors it will have CPU issues.
- if I suspend the first VM the issues in the second VM will disappear.
Apparently I can only run one VM with multiple processors without issues.