Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for a software to record the voice through a mike and also reproduce this sound "live" on the speakers.

Please suggest me if you are aware of any such softwares.

Thanks Chandra

share|improve this question

migrated from Mar 26 '10 at 16:07

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

I don't understand your question - it sounds like all you need is a splitter from the mike; one end to the speakers and one to a recording program. I don't see why the software should have to forward the sound to the speakers as well. – Adam V Mar 26 '10 at 15:59
Migrate to SuperUser? – gingerbreadboy Mar 26 '10 at 16:02

You can do it with DirectShow on Windows. C++ or .NET could wire it up fine. GraphEditPlus could do it without any coding.

But as Adam V said, a hardware splitter is easier/cheaper.

alt text

share|improve this answer
Thanks a lot.. I will try this one and also the software.. – Chandra Mar 26 '10 at 16:04
Shouldn't that go the other way? One input, two outputs? – Adam V Mar 26 '10 at 16:05
@Adam V, you're right. I fixed the link. – Sam Mar 26 '10 at 16:12

Pro Tools from Digidesign. It comes with both the hardware and the software. They have several different versions/packages. The cheapest is Pro Tools LE using an MBox for the hardware interface. I think $499 or so. It all comes together, the hardware and software.

share|improve this answer
$0.85 Y splitter or $500 Pro tool set? I like these options. :-) – Sam Mar 26 '10 at 16:07

Windows 7 can do it out of the box, see here for details. Previous versions of Windows can do it if the hardware supported it, but not all hardware does, obviously.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.