Sign up ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'd like an application that can uninstall applications that does not show up in the normal add/remove applications.

I have an application that failed to install properly. It installs half way and then crashes leaving shortcuts, folders with exe and config files in and some stuff in the registry.

Ideally I would like to be able to point the uninstaller to the install dir and tell it to remove everything that references files in that dir.

share|improve this question
Write one! It's situations like this that make knowing a scripting language like Python invaluable. – Phoshi Mar 28 '10 at 20:05
@Phoshi - But, but... I'm lazy! It even says so on my profile page. If nothing emerges here I might fix something with perl and Win32::TieRegistry – Nifle Mar 28 '10 at 20:18
Hey, I'm lazy too - only difference is I absolutely love python, and generally take any excuse I can get to write in it :P – Phoshi Mar 28 '10 at 20:27

2 Answers 2

Try Revo Uninstaller, it was able to clean up a couple of my failed installs.

share|improve this answer
Revo can't find it. Probably because it never got so far as to create an entry in add/remove programs – Nifle Mar 28 '10 at 22:26
Also, Revo is not 64-bit compatible (last I heard...) – outsideblasts Mar 28 '10 at 23:01
@outside - Revo have a 64-bit version nowadays – Nifle Mar 29 '10 at 7:51
Thanks Nifle. 15 – outsideblasts Mar 29 '10 at 9:09

Use RollbackRX befor any install (take snapshot of the system) and if it fails you can reboot to the snapshot you just took in only a few minutes.

share|improve this answer
Good advice but not the answer I was looking for. Rolling back the system all the time is not an attractive option when you are debugging a faulty installer. – Nifle Apr 16 '10 at 8:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.