Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My daughter is about to head off to college in the fall. I love her dearly, but I have low confidence that she won't misplace her laptop in the first week!

Does anyone know any good options for insuring her laptop?

Other issues like data protection and recovery will be separate questions I think - but suggestions welcome.


share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Mehper C. Palavuzlar, William Hilsum, sblair, quack quixote Apr 6 '10 at 18:31

Questions on Super User are expected to relate to computer software or computer hardware within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Could use a bluetooth dongle and a (hopefully) bluetooth enabled mobile to make it beep really loudly if she gets out of range. – Phoshi Apr 6 '10 at 18:25
Nice :-) Maybe some kind of electric shock collar... what, too cruel!? :) – Ross Johnston Apr 6 '10 at 18:26
This isn't a direct answer, but 'get a cheaper laptop' might be good advice if she does lose it. Netbooks do great for most tasks. – Nathan Long Apr 6 '10 at 18:27
@GorillaSandwich: the problem is that they don't want to lose it, and be able to track it down again if possible...thus, they will still lose money, data, etc when they lose a netbook, however cheap it is... – studiohack Apr 6 '10 at 18:32
as i understand it, this question is asking for advice about insurance. insurance questions are not about computer hardware or software (even if you're asking about insuring a computer). @Ross, if you edit this question to turn it into a hardware/software question, it may be reopened. flag for moderator attention if you need us to look at it again. – quack quixote Apr 6 '10 at 18:35
up vote 0 down vote accepted

If you have homeowner's insurance, it may be covered. It depends on the riders and deductible, so you'll have to check your policy or contact your insurance agent.

Some manufacturers sell extended warranties that may include protection against theft and/or accidental damage. Again, it depends on the specific details of the policy.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .