Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do I search in the leading auction site for the PC headset (earpiece + microphone) that does not have a band to go around or over your head - instead it is entirely like a cable, with the microphone attached in one of the wires leading from the ear piece? How is it called?

I'm not talking about Bluetooth wireless headsets.

I have one from Plantronics I got years ago, which they stopped making and I want another one, but don't know how to search. Simply searching for HeadSet or similar terms, brings mostly the newer ones which I don't want.

Edit: The microphone is 'inline' and the headset is stereo.

share|improve this question
In my headset, the microphone doesn't hang out like that; in fact, you won't even know the thing has a microphone unless you look closer. – FMFF Apr 7 '10 at 15:35
It is stereo, not single ear. I will try to post a picture some where else when possible. – FMFF Apr 7 '10 at 15:36
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think you're looking for an "earbud" style headset or hands-free device.

I don't know of any other term that distinguishes headphones-without-headband from headphones-with-headband.

share|improve this answer
They could be meaning something like these (Long link ahead)… Those are referred to as clip-on headphones. – Kravlin Apr 6 '10 at 21:27

I've heard them referred to as single ear headsets. The picture doesn't seem right for what you're asking, though.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .