To enable POP in Gmail with Apple Mail:
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from
- Choose what to do with your messages after they're accessed with
your POP client or device.
- Configure your POP client* and click Save Changes
To configure your client:
- Enable POP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're
- Open Apple Mail.
- Click Mail, and select Preferences...
- Open the Accounts tab, and click the plus sign (+) along the bottom to
add a new account.
- Enter your name in the Full Name: field.
- Enter your Gmail address in the Email Address: field.
- Enter your Gmail password in the Password: field.
- Check the box next to Automatically set up your account.
- Click on Create.
- Now you're done! Your settings should now look like this:
I don't have Yahoo and I'm not in the mood of searching their docs now.
Thunderbird may be an alternative if Sysadmin learns about Mail. It runs on Windows and OS X. http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/