Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I always wanted to make a background like this but I could never find a tutorial on this. I also do not know what the effect is called so it makes it even harder for me to find.

alt text

This is the effect I am talking about, at the background. Does anyone know whats it called, or does anyone have a tutorial on this?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

"Starburst" tutorials:

Examples of Starburst effect

share|improve this answer
And if you want the fade-out effect for the outer regions of the lighter color, add a radial gradient with alpha 0 in the middle and the darker color at the edges. – marcusw Apr 11 '10 at 17:49
This image is broken. Do you have the original that you could reupload? – 8088 Sep 20 '11 at 6:03
Thanks @hyperslug! – 8088 Sep 21 '11 at 1:49

Granted that you want to do it in Photoshop, but you can also create the effect in GIMP with the Line Nova filter (Filters > Render > Line Nova...) ("Fill a layer with rays emanating outward from its center using the FG color"). It helps to make a small alteration to the script (line-nova.scm) to make it more useful by changing the "40" in:

  SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Number of lines"     '(200 40 1000 1 1 0 1)

to something like "10":

  SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Number of lines"     '(200 10 1000 1 1 0 1)

This would widen the filter's default range of lines (by extending the bottom end) to enable you to produce something more closely resembling your screenshot.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .