Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I always wanted to make a background like this but I could never find a tutorial on this. I also do not know what the effect is called so it makes it even harder for me to find.

alt text

This is the effect I am talking about, at the background. Does anyone know whats it called, or does anyone have a tutorial on this?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

"Starburst" tutorials:

Examples of Starburst effect

share|improve this answer
And if you want the fade-out effect for the outer regions of the lighter color, add a radial gradient with alpha 0 in the middle and the darker color at the edges. – marcusw Apr 11 '10 at 17:49
This image is broken. Do you have the original that you could reupload? – 8088 Sep 20 '11 at 6:03
Thanks @hyperslug! – 8088 Sep 21 '11 at 1:49

Granted that you want to do it in Photoshop, but you can also create the effect in GIMP with the Line Nova filter (Filters > Render > Line Nova...) ("Fill a layer with rays emanating outward from its center using the FG color"). It helps to make a small alteration to the script (line-nova.scm) to make it more useful by changing the "40" in:

  SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Number of lines"     '(200 40 1000 1 1 0 1)

to something like "10":

  SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Number of lines"     '(200 10 1000 1 1 0 1)

This would widen the filter's default range of lines (by extending the bottom end) to enable you to produce something more closely resembling your screenshot.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.