Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have accidentally deleted all of my document that I was writting in Word. I closed it and hit save changes mistakenly. Now that I've reopened it I can't seem to get Ctrl-Z (undo) to recover my info.

Is there another way to get my document contents back?

share|improve this question

5 Answers 5

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Unfortunately, I don't think so.

share|improve this answer

If you are using Windows Vista or 7, view the file properties (Alt+Enter) and there is a "Previous versions" tab. But that also depends if you run regular backups and create restore points.

Tip: get used to keyboard shortcuts, it really helps minimize clicking save by accident. We all learn the hard way eventually.

share|improve this answer

This is exactly what I do to some documents before deleting as I don't want them to be recovered or undeleted. So my condolences to you...

share|improve this answer

In the future you may have luck turning "Track Changes" on, but that won't save this document.

share|improve this answer

In Windows 7 if you right click on the document there is an option to restore previous versions, for example one that might have been created at a Restore point.

share|improve this answer

protected by slhck Jul 22 '13 at 10:57

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.