Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The plastic skid pad "feet" on the bottom of my Logitech G9 mouse (which I love!) are getting rather worn down -- to the point that the outer shell of the mouse scrapes on the mousepad a bit.

enter image description here

I've had the mouse for about ~2 years now so it does get a lot (I mean lot of use). However, I hate having to buy a new mouse when I only need replacement "feet".

Where can I obtain replacement mouse feet? Is this even possible?

EDIT: I just received the HyperGlide replacement mouse feet for the G9 in the mail, and they work great! Perfectly cut to exactly the right size, very smooth mouse action, and you get two full sets for $14 so it's not as expensive as I thought.

share|improve this question
-1 no freehand circles. (kidding!) seriously tho, i take it you're talking about the oblong dark shapes in the pic? does it feel like a sort of soft plastic? i don't know of replacement parts offhand but am thinking a DIY match-materials,-shape-and-add-glue would work. – quack quixote Apr 16 '10 at 5:27
Jeff these things are like with the Gilette razors, when the rubbers gone it's time to replace 'em! – Ivo Flipse Apr 16 '10 at 5:55
People still use mousepads? :-) I also didn't know you could replace the feet. Thanks for the info. – Jarret Hardie Apr 20 '10 at 0:01
up vote 16 down vote accepted

Mouse feet are apparently made of teflon aka Polytetrafluoroethylene.

I was resigned to buying a broken G9 on eBay and salvaging its feet, but apparently, much to my surprise, it is possible to buy aftermarket mouse feet aka slider pads.

Here are two from HyperGlide: also sells a variety of replacement mouse feet, both custom fit to particular mice and generic one-size-fits-all. However, they don't have anything for the G9, and I saw one user review that was negative:

Please don't recommend Slicksurf to me. I've tried those and I thought they were just pieces of plastic that were not slick at all. Not to mention they were not cut precisely like other feet I've bought. Furthermore, because of their hardness, I felt like I was grinding into my mousepad everytime I used my mouse with those things on (Archetype rough mousepad).

The reason I listed the thickness, above, is that I need to be careful that I'm not getting flimsy, ultra-thin teflon tape (I've tried this before, and it sucks), but actual teflon plastic feet.

I also found a video of somebody applying the HyperGlide custom mouse feet, and they indeed look like replacement slider pads:

Also check eBay as I found a number of HK vendors selling good thick teflon G9 feet for cheap there too.

share|improve this answer
Woah, I'll have to remember this for when my g5 runs down. I figured the little things couldn't last forever, anyway. – Phoshi Apr 16 '10 at 13:47

Your mouse is a Logitech one, and they have an excellent customer support.

Just contact their support by mail, explain your situation, that you need replacement feet, and they will most likely ask you for a delivery address, to send you new feet for free. You can be sure that these ones will match, moreover, as they will be official.

I did that several times for my past mice, and they always sent. One thing which is great without a doubt with Logitech, from my personal experience, it's their support.

share|improve this answer
Good suggestion! I used the form and sent them the info. It's weird because the form asks for the serial number of the mouse and I can't find one printed on it anywhere. I'll update here with what happens.. – Jeff Atwood Apr 16 '10 at 18:20
@Jeff - if it's not under the mouse, it's on the sticker next to the usb plug. Assuming you haven't thrown that away :P Try to find your invoice or something, in case they ask you for it. – Gnoupi Apr 16 '10 at 19:45
no response whatsoever from Logitech to date – Jeff Atwood Apr 19 '10 at 23:54
@Jeff - hmm, that's surprising. I was used to quite fast answers from them. Though last time I used it was 2 years ago, so it might have changed since. – Gnoupi Apr 20 '10 at 7:17
@Jeff - any answer since, by the way? – Gnoupi May 14 '10 at 7:48

A quick Google search found this.

share|improve this answer
MouseTape. the website says it's "skived Teflon tape, not the stuff for pipes". – quack quixote Apr 16 '10 at 5:28
yeah, the tape isn't what I want in this case.. I have tried teflon tape before to make the mouse action "smoother" but the teflon tape is a pain in the butt to work with, and eventually it wears off and the sticky adhesive is left. Not recommended. – Jeff Atwood Apr 16 '10 at 5:38
ignacio, I undeleted this because I think it's useful for anyone finding this question to understand the distinction between teflon tape and teflon sliders / pads / feet -- I hope you don't mind and I do appreciate your answer. – Jeff Atwood Apr 16 '10 at 5:39
Isn't that in your answer now? – Ivo Flipse Apr 16 '10 at 5:57

eBay is a great place to look for replacement mouse feet, and not just from a broken mouse. When I bought a Microsoft Habu (which I love), it first came minus one of the pads (it was 2nd hand). I found replacements on eBay for $3 - hard to beat that.

share|improve this answer

I think the best solution is Gnoupi's one but YES there are aftermarket mouse feet. There are usually sold as rectangular self-adhesive pads that you have to cut the shape you want.

Have a look on gaming mice manufacturer websites such as Razer (these are pre-cut), Mionix and probably Roccat, SteelSeries, ... You can also check computer shops (solid's or online!). It depends where you live, i know about in USA for exemple...

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .