Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a program for hiding programs from taskbar to system tray? I was hoping that Windows 7 will be able to do it itself but I can't find it.

share|improve this question
For some specific programs, you have some specific solutions, like "MinimizeToTray" add-ons for Firefox and Thunderbird. – kokbira May 12 '11 at 13:53
This isn't directly supported by Windows, so you'll need third-party software to do this as it's application-specific. Note: After submitting this Answer, I noticed that @soandos (+1) pointed out that there is a similar question (… ) which also happens to include recommendations for third-party software that can place icons in the System Tray. – Randolf Richardson Aug 9 '11 at 15:07
Since software recommendations are no more on topic on this site, I'd recommend another free option I found in answer on SE software recommendations site. – miroxlav Mar 2 at 10:14
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Tray It!

Tray It! is free and seems to work fine on Windows 7 32bit; there are some issues on Windows 7 64bit.

share|improve this answer
it is not working on Windows 7!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried it already so don't bother. – SolarWind Aug 9 '11 at 19:57

So far I am impressed with "4t Tray Minimizer" (and I am using it on 64-bit Windows 7.) Good wizard to get you started too.

The comments in eXtra Buttons suggest several people have had trouble with it.

share|improve this answer
I agree, 4t Tray Minimizer Free is great. And it includes the 'always on top' functionality – Pere May 29 '13 at 16:44

I think you will need a 3rd party application to do this. A Google search for "run in system tray utility" returned several results. (mostly shareware, not freeware).

As an aside, that area is correctly called the notification area, not the tray.

share|improve this answer
I was googling and I've found a few programs but it was for older OS or wasn't freeware. I didn't know that, thanks! – Martin Vseticka Apr 19 '10 at 19:34
Good luck convincing everyone to call it the "notification area", everyone I know also calls it the "system tray". – davr Apr 19 '10 at 19:35
That's because pre-XP, it was called the system tray. When XP was released, they decided to change the name to "notification area". – Andrew Moore Apr 19 '10 at 19:45
I realize convincing people to call it the right thing is an uphill battle but the link there is from the MS developer that made it. According to him, it was NEVER called the system tray. The reason for the misnomer is described in the post. (Its pretty short and worth the read). – Jeff Martin Apr 19 '10 at 20:01

I would suggest eXtra Buttons. It's quite simple to setup, customize and use.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .