This one is for the hive mind. I have a brand new Dell Optiplex 760 workstation with 4 gigabytes of RAM running Windows 7 Professional (32bit). This is a new box with nothing installed other than what was provided for directly by Dell. I installed a Saphire ATI PCI Express 5570 HD. Upon trying to install the 10.4 Catalyst drivers the system will blue screen. It blue screens during the hardware detection phase of the installation process. I have already performed the following trouble shooting steps:
- Changed system RAM
- Installed only 2 gigabytes of RAM
- Installed different versions of Catalyst drivers (10.4 - 9.12)
- Tried to install video only component of driver (vs entire Catalyst suite)
- Made sure Windows 7 was fully updated
- Flashed mother board BIOS to current version
- Removed and re-seated video card
- Contacted ATI Support (We all know how this went......)
- Verified supply outputting properly
The blue screen error (via Windows BugCheck entry in event log) is a 0x000000CA and refers to a plug and play error most likely caused by a bad driver. The problem is that the driver installation process never gets far enough to actually install a driver. The resolution center in Windows provides a solution of installing the 10.4 Catalyst driver to resolve issue (which fails).
Looking for some alternate views to resolve.