Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have some external hard drives that are Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted. What software can you recommend for working with those drives when under Windows? Do you have any experience with this?

Would be best if the software is free, but it doesn't have to be.

Hope someone can help!

share|improve this question
Please accept some of the answers people have given to your questions. – CharlesB May 14 '10 at 8:40
@Charles: I have, to the ones where I have gotten an answer. But I'll go through them again if you want. – Svish May 14 '10 at 16:52

For read only access you can try hfs explorer

share|improve this answer
This link is dead. – Surreal Dreams Dec 5 '12 at 3:19
@SurrealDreams fixed – CupawnTae Apr 24 '15 at 19:12

You can install Apple bootcamp drivers (no official download links but you can find it on other sites) on a non-Apple machine. This will install HFS+ (the other name for Mac OS Extended) drivers for Windows.

Originally found on MacRumors forum, detailed instructions here

share|improve this answer
Interesting! Will have to try that out. – Svish May 14 '10 at 17:04
Svish, did you have a chance to test this solution? I'm curious to know if it works – CharlesB May 24 '10 at 19:11
No, but I really want to! My problem is that I'm missing the bootcamp drivers as I don't know anyone that has Bootcamp... and things have been a bit busy so haven't found time to search for them other places =/ – Svish Jul 8 '10 at 22:30

Seems like MediaFour MacDrive is the recommended one from various places. If anyone has any good and free alternatives or just other alternatives, I'd like to know about those though :)

Along with the ability to read and write to Mac disks and volumes, you can also create Mac disks for easy file transfers and backups. The built-in MacDrive Disk Manager gives you the power to partition, format, analyze and repair disks, while the newly revamped CD/DVD Creator allows you to burn Mac CDs and DVDs.

share|improve this answer – Lightly Salted May 13 '10 at 19:58

I found the solution in here. It works just great. They are the official Apple´s driver set. It works with latest format (End 2012).

share|improve this answer
Note: Only works for XP – Canadian Luke Dec 16 '12 at 7:05

For those with Windows 7, drivers can be found using Apple KB: TS3172

share|improve this answer
When trying to install on Windows 7 got - "This utility was not intended for this operating system" – cwd Nov 24 '13 at 4:41

Yes I've used MacDrive and its probably the only one around that works good.

Its sometimes buggy though, last I used was up to November last year. Don't know about the latest updates.

I've since changed all my drives back to NTFS, since Snow Leopard has (hidden) native support for writing NTFS files. (Google that - fstab ntfs mac) ;)

share|improve this answer

I am using HVF_Explorer with a WIN32 system. HVF_Explorer does a pretty good job, and its free.


share|improve this answer
Hasn't been updated since 1999, so I doubt it can work on journaled HFS partition Readme doesn't mention support for WinXP (stops at Win98) – CharlesB May 7 '10 at 16:40
Thats right, it will only work with hfs and not hfs+ , SORRY! Support for Windows XP SP2 and SP3 is OK. – user36430 May 7 '10 at 17:10

Have you considered going in the opposite direction?


This is what i do. Any External Drive that i connect to my OSX machine that i plan to also use with Windows i make the volume an NTFS volume. osxFUSE(googlecode) will allow you to write EXT3&4,ZFS,NTFS, and basicly any Filesystem on your MAC.

share|improve this answer
If they were my drives I totally would :p – Svish May 14 '10 at 8:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.