I'm a newbie developer wanting to learn a bit about Virtualization (from the IT point of view, not theoretical/academic).
What I'd like to do:
- Prepare a machine
- Install VMWare or VirtualBox
- Prepare 3 Guest OSes (one for Win2k8 server, 2 for Ubuntu Server)
- Win2k8 will run SQL Server 2k8 and IIS (for ASP.NET MVC deployment)
- 1 Ubuntu Server for Drupal, SugarCRM, MediaWiki, typical LAMP stuff
- 1 Ubuntu Server for Java (Tomcat/Jetty + MySQL/PostgreSQL)
What I'd like to know:
- What would be the ideal Host OS such that the Host OS should not spend too many resources on itself but should boost these instances of VMs (e.g: does Win2k8 performs better vs Linux?)
- What would be the ideal machine for this (preferably AMD base chip)
- I'm not expecting the best performance out of this setup, just a decent one to host one drupal instance, one ASP.NET MVC (future, not now), and one Tomcat/Jetty instance.
NB: If you have a better suggestions on the setup, feel free to let me know (e.g: maybe Drupal and Tomcat can be in one instance but move the database to another instance instead of 1 instance map to 1 webserver and 1 dbserver).