- I am running Parallels Desktop 5.0.9344 for Mac.
- I am running Mac OS 10.6.3 10D2094
- I have bought a retail copy of Windows 7 professional specifically because I need the XP compatibility.
- Windows 7 is installed and working.
- I have problems with the XP activation
Windows7 'Virtual PC' does not run under Parallels (strange error about Server Execution failed 0x80080005).
I have used the Parallels Transporter to convert the "Windows XP Mode Base.vhd" file into a parallels Virtual Machine. This copy of XP now starts normally, however it records itself as unregistered. There was a KEY.txt file in the same directory as the .vhd file; although this file contains a valid-looking activation key, it does not appear to activate the instance of XP. I have also tried to enter the Windows 7 activation key; this does not work either.
I have tried calling the two phone numbers; an automated system asked me to enter 56 digits through the telephone and then accused me of being a pirate.
I believe it may be possible to install Windows 7 via Bootcamp, start Windows XP under Virtual PC, activate it and then import this activated .vhd into Parallels; but that seems a long way round, and is far from certain.
What can I do to get Windows XP running under Mac Parallels Desktop ?