I was having problems with my USB devices for an hour last night, and I am unable to determine the root cause of the problem.
The two symptoms are:
- At seemingly random times (not consistently spaced by time or caused by any detectable event) my USB devices become "detached". Windows will play the USB disconnect sound and then the reconnect sound. The devices disconnected and then reconnected.
- My USB Keyboard will "stick" on one key for several seconds before processing any other keystroke made. The mouse also does not respond to clicks. I do not lose mouse movement or USB device connectivity. And after a moment of this several beeps will be emitted from the speakers.
- GFX Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Superclocked 1280MB DDR5 PCIe
- Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 MB
- Processor: Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU
- Memory: Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800 DDR3
- Storage: Hitachi 1TB Serial ATA HD 1600MHz 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
- Cooling: Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler
- Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case
- Power Supply: Corsair HX1000W 1000W Modular Power Supply
Steps I have taken to narrow down the problem:
- Restarted the computer. - No change
- Changed USB port the Hub was connected to on the CPU. - No change
- Removed all devices from USB Hub and connected directly to CPU. - No change
- Used a different USB keyboard both in USB Hub and directly to CPU. - No change
- Disconnected and reconnected all cables. - No change
- Disassembled the Tower and determined if the USB headers were firmly connected. - No change
- Checked device manager for errors. Checked all USB devices. - Nothing flagged
After an hour of frustration trying to narrow down the problem it appeared to disappear. But I am torn between it being a Mobo problem or an OS problem.
Is there anything else I can do to narrow down the problem before a reformat and then eventually exchanging the Mobo?