let me try to explain it by listing some of the things I want to do:
- Submit random thoughts, notes, facts, and to-do tasks of any sort and at any time.
- Tag each of these submissions freely.
- Manage these tags centrally.
- Associate meta-data with submissions and tags.
- Search, filter, and sort submissions. I want lots of power here.
- Display views of submissions (including within searches) in a hierarchy.
- Create said hierarchies easily out by ordering relevant tags.
- Edit: Publish select submissions (e.g. when given certain tags) to a blog or local text file or something similar.
I'm thinking towards some kind of desktop program that allows me to quickly do all of these things. A web service could also work, too, but it will need offline capabilities. I don't want to have to pay for this, if that's possible.
Also, as I know regex and SQL, I wouldn't mind solutions involving the use of either.