This is probably a long shot...
I have an HTC Desire and frustratingly found out after I got it that it doesn't support network proxy settings.
We have a wireless network at my office that uses a proxy.
My desktop at work runs ubuntu.
I was wondering if the following set up would work:
- Plug a USB Wireless adapter into the desktop that has a working internet connection using the proxy.
- Setup the wireless adapter as an ad-hoc network
- Share the internet connection over the ad-hoc network.
- Make it so that the use of the proxy is invisible to users of the shared network connection.
- Connect the Android phone to the ad-hoc wireless network and utilise the internet connection.
My question is this: Is this possible or should I give up now and not even try?
I think I can handle steps 1, 2, 3 and 5. I just have no idea if step 4 even makes sense, let alone is possible.