Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen friends quickly hit a key on the left side of the keyboard and then change the name of a file they had selected.

What is the keystroke to do this?

share|improve this question
up vote 29 down vote accepted

It's F2 (Function 2).

share|improve this answer
Thanks! Now I look like the cool kids! – user1596 Jul 28 '09 at 16:48
Upvote for you! Never knew that and wow what a handy feature! – Axxmasterr Jul 28 '09 at 16:48
Upvoted - sysadmin for 10 years and didn't know that! – Marko Carter Jul 28 '09 at 16:52

As palehorse said, it's F2. But there's more: F2 is the general key to rename on Windows: works on Excel or Calc cells for example, to replace their content.

share|improve this answer
Very true, it works in many applications for renaming. – palehorse Jul 28 '09 at 16:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.