Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen friends quickly hit a key on the left side of the keyboard and then change the name of a file they had selected.

What is the keystroke to do this?

share|improve this question
up vote 29 down vote accepted

It's F2 (Function 2).

share|improve this answer
Thanks! Now I look like the cool kids! – user1596 Jul 28 '09 at 16:48
Upvote for you! Never knew that and wow what a handy feature! – Axxmasterr Jul 28 '09 at 16:48
Upvoted - sysadmin for 10 years and didn't know that! – Marko Carter Jul 28 '09 at 16:52

As palehorse said, it's F2. But there's more: F2 is the general key to rename on Windows: works on Excel or Calc cells for example, to replace their content.

share|improve this answer
Very true, it works in many applications for renaming. – palehorse Jul 28 '09 at 16:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .